Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Status Quo of Clearance Sales

This morning by 9:45AM I have received 11 different emails telling me of major sales, markdowns, "friends and family events", and prices that can't be beat.  I have also been tempted by Groupon, Living Social, Troopswap, and Zulily. I'm sure by the end of the day Kidsteals, Babysteals, and a half dozen other sites will have emailed me.  I know this is my fault, I subscribe to these emails (or at least didn't opt out from subscribing when I bought an item in the past).  But geezy pete - that is a LOT of temptation for mid morning.

I'm not sure if we have noticed this slow progression to the eternal sale.  In the rough economy, businesses are clamoring for our cash and are willing to slash prices lower and lower to draw us in.  So I have been wondering, is anything really on sale anymore?  Or is it just clever marketing and advertising to get us to perceive things as being the cheapest or the most affordable?  I don't know.  But I have been thinking a lot about how I need to start avoiding the impulse buy because I think that Ann Taylor LOFT is having the "most stupendous, amazingly cheap friends and family sale-a-thon EVER".  Because next week, it seems the sale is recreated with different wording with a different gimmick attached. 

Yesterday my friend Karen from My Goal is Simple posed a challenge to herself that she would not purchase any new clothing for 6 months.  That she would force herself to use what she has, simplify, and create new outfits out of her current wardrobe.  It is just the challenge that I think I need.  My closet is full of nice clothing that I barely wear, and somehow I get those tempting emails and think I "need" more.  I don't.  What I need to do is really utilize and get my money's worth out of what I currently own.

So I am taking up Karen's challenge but doing a JV version. For the next 3 months I vow not to buy any new clothing for myself.  I will make the exception in two areas: running gear and bras.  I won't get into gory details, but those two areas need some help because of the races I am running and because I stopped nursing Connor last week.  But no new dresses, no new jeans, no new tops.  Until November 4th.  I will wear what I own and create new looks with what is in my closet. 

Hopefully by November I will be a little richer but also more aware of what I own and what I need to donate to Goodwill.  Now I am off to go unsubscribe to about three dozen "daily deal" emails...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi there! Came across your blog from thebump military families board. Just wanted to say "hi" and that I'm enjoying reading about your adventures while your husband is deployed.

Sarah said...

Thanks, Jill. Because of your blog, I signed up for another deal-a-day email. I didn't know about kid steals. Thanks to my cheap husband, I have become better at weeding out the deals I can't live with out and the deals that actually do make sense to buy.

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers