Thursday, August 25, 2011

Earthquakes and Fires and Hurricanes, OH MY!

We are in the midst of a natural disaster trifecta.  As I type this, my house smells like a bad BBQ thanks to the Great Dismal Swamp fire, friends all over the region are debating evacuating thanks to the westward shifting Hurricane Irene, and Virginia is feeling aftershocks following the 5.8 earthquake this week. I am feeling annoyed and anxious right now.  I live in a very flood prone neighborhood and the house we are renting is surrounded by very large (and not properly maintained) trees.  It is times like this where I really feel John's absence.  I shouldn't have to take care of all of this by myself.  It isn't normal or natural and I fight the urge to let it make me angry at the Navy or at my husband.  I found myself muttering under my breath at the television this morning when the Navy mobilized their crews to evacuate the ships out of Irene's path.  Of course it is more important to move government assets.  The fact that these sailors have families in the path of the hurricane is secondary.  (and yes, I sound like a whiny brat, but I am just annoyed)  I just sometimes wish my husband worked for a company that said "go home, take care of your families" as opposed to "come to work, we need to fly this plane out of the path".

No, I am not mad at Johnny.  Yes, I will be totally fine and "this too shall pass".  I just wish I didn't have to be such a grown up sometimes.  No hurricane parties for me.  I'm headed to DC to stay with my mom.  Assuming no major damage to my house and no long term power outages we will make our way back here sometime early next week. 

Here's to hoping that Irene does some good and puts out the Swamp fire!


0 comments:

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers