Wednesday, June 29, 2011

8

Eight years ago John and I said "I do" and I was ceremoniously welcomed into the Navy...

June 28, 2003, US Naval Academy Chapel

We met during winter break of my sophomore year of high school.  I invited some friends over and he happened to be hanging with that group on that particular night.  Lucky me!  He was very shy, didn't say much to me, but there was just something about him.  I was only 15 so it wasn't one of those "there you are" moments that I hear happen to people in their twenties when they see "the one".  But it was definitely an instant crush.  He was so cute - dimples, athletic but preppy, and sweet.  And a little mysterious.  He went to a Catholic high school a few miles away so he wasn't a guy that I had been in school with since pre-K.

Ever since that night we have been a pair.  We are 30 now.  We have been together half of our lives.  Through thick and thin, college apart, a young marriage at 22, 3 deployments, graduate school for both of us, Test Pilot School (believe me, huge accomplishment for a marriage), a dozen apartments and houses, two babies, and countless adventures.  Here we are.  

Here we are.  In the midst of a deployment.  I do a pretty good job at keeping myself upbeat and positive.  I am busy so the days seem to fly by and I find myself winded going up the stairs 23253 times per day.- usually with at least 25 pounds of squirmy baby or toddler in tow.  But on days like yesterday, our anniversary, the little pauses and quiet moments I had to myself were sad.  I know lots of couples travel for work and spend time apart.  But I think it is safe to say that most find a way to be home on big days like anniversaries and birthdays.  In short: I miss him.   A lot. 

John managed to have three dozen beautiful red roses delivered to me (no easy  feat from an aircraft carrier) and one of my best friends (and bridesmaids), Melissa, sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers.  My house smells wonderful!  I felt very loved yesterday and am hopeful that next year we can be together.

Our wedding day was really wonderful.  It had rained (and rained and rained and rained) the whole month of June.  I was mentally preparing myself for a wash out which wouldn't have been a big deal except for our reception site was an indoor/outdoor venue.  The outdoor part really meant a lot to me.  But we were lucky, not only was it beautiful, but the rain the night before had really cooled everything down.  So we got a rare high 70s day with no humidity in late June.

My bridesmaids were beautiful (even if they did forget their IDs and one attempted to kill me with her bouquet...)

Becky, Lu, me, JoJo, Kriste, Mel

Look at how young we were!!

Right after our wedding ceremony

It is on days like yesterday, where I really reflect on how lucky John and I are, that I think about all of the things people have said to me over the years.  About how they could "never" be a military spouse.  Or "never" do a deployment.  Or "wouldn't" move around or give up their careers for a man.  I usually just smile and nod, accept it, and move on.  But what I really want to say is "yes you could, and you would" if you fell in love the way I am in love with my husband.  He is my best friend and has been since we were literally kids.  We might occasionally banter or bicker like "old married people", but that is because we know so well how to push each other buttons and also so well that at the end of the day, we know each other and love each other to the core.  And we take care of each other.  Yes, I have "bad Navy days" where I wonder and wish for a different way of life.  But I refuse to take for granted how lucky I am to have John.

Cheers, Johnny, wherever you are...  I hope you felt loved today, too.  

1 comments:

60 toes said...

Happy Anniversary. We wed in that same place 16 years ago. Crazy how time flies!!! Thinking of you, hope you have had a great day.

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers