Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another Adventure

Yesterday we packed up the car and ventured on a road trip that spanned 7 states and over 400 miles.  It started with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel

The amazing and sometimes scary 23 mile bridge-tunnel 

And ended, much to my frustration, with New York City rush hour traffic...

Only a slight exaggeration

But we made it!  After about 247 rounds of "The Wheels on the Bus" and 342 rounds of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" (which Kate wouldn't have unless both my mom and I sang it together - with hand motions), a few meltdowns (mostly me - the kids did awesome), and LOTS of caffiene we are in Connecticut.  I was greeted by my wonderful aunt and uncle and 4 glasses of wine.  This morning, despite a slight hangover, I am feeling good and happy that we made the drive.

This trip was made for one person - my grandmother.   A woman who has been like a second  mother to me my entire life.  She is turning 90.  And to celebrate, we are gathering her family and good friends for a series of celebrations.  Right now we are conspiring to think up 90 reasons that we love and admire her.  And while it might be hard to think up 9 reasons that some people are great, I could probably think of 900 reasons for my grandmother.  This project will be easy.

While we are here I will find the time to post the story of my grandparents and why they inspired some parts of this blog.  How in 1943, in a small English town, my American grandfather met my British grandmother and proposed that very night.  The story of their whirlwind romance during WWII is amazing and inspiring.  It helps to keep my feelings toward John's deployment in perspective.


 

0 comments:

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers