Saturday, September 10, 2011

4 Months Down

I think at this point I can say with certainty that a 7 month deployment seems a lot longer than a 6 month deployment (and yes, I know I am lucky that it isn't 12 or 16 months.  Got it.).  6 months used to be the traditional length of a Navy deployment - many cases to the exact day.  Your husband or wife would leave on say March 15 and, almost without exception, be home September 15.  Not so much anymore.  The powers that be have slowly but surely made a typical Navy deployment 7 months, sometimes as long as 9 or 10 months (which, on a ship with very little access to fresh food, sunlight, internet, phone, or a beer is a long time).  And the idea of us actually knowing the date our husband's will grace us with their presence?  That is a pipe dream.  We should be thrilled if we get a window where we could possibly see them.  But exact dates?  Pshhhhaw.

Usually at 4 months we would be talking about mail holds and the route home.  Not yet.  Patience patience patience.

So here I am, 4 months done with about 3 to go...  Here is my rundown from the past month:

The Good:

*  We are all still alive and kicking.  Our koi fish even survived hurricane Irene (I was worried his pond would overflow and I would find him in my backyard..eek)!
*  I ran that stinkin' 1/2 Marathon.  And if you read my blog, you are totally sick of hearing about it.
*  Kate started preschool.  I am very excited for both of us.
*  Temperatures are averaging in the low-mid 80s now, a vast improvement from the high 90s. 
*  We experienced and survived an earthquake and a hurricane!
*  We had some family pictures taken by a dear friend of mine.  I'll put a post up about that soon.
*  Pumpkin spice lattes, bread, cupcakes, etc. 
*  Last, but certainly not least:  Remember my complaint about not visiting John during this deployment in my last monthly milestone post?  Well, it looks like we will be breaking that streak!  I can't divulge details but I am very excited!

The Bad:

* My mom had to go home.  Days of extra help, a cleaner house, and someone to hand me a glass of wine when I needed it most are gone.
*  Kate has become very territorial of her toys and books since Connor has been on the move.  I often feel like more of a referee than a mom.  My patience is definitely being tested.
* Cooking is becoming a MAJOR chore.  I hate having to cook for myself (and a toddler who eats like a bird) and then have a huge mess to clean up after doing baths, books, and bed for both kids.  HATE IT.
* Our yard is looking pretty bad.  Dear City of Norfolk, saying you will have yard debris pick up "by the end of September" is a little ridiculous.  Seriously? 

Goals for next month:

* Keep running and training for the Wicked 10K in October.  Running 10K with a double stroller should pose a new challenge (Kate is a ticking time bomb in strollers these days so I know my time frame to finish the race will be limited by her patience).
* Enjoy Connor on days where Kate is in preschool.
* Party at the Centennial Aviation Ball.  We are celebrating 100 years of Naval Aviation on September 24th in Virginia Beach.  ALL Hampton Roads based Navy squadrons are invited.  Jets, Hawkeyes, Helos... all in one place.  Shall be quite the sight!
* Try to keep a positive attitude.  If not for myself, for Kate and Connor.

I'm heading to a "halfway" dinner tonight with Air Wing 8 staff spouses.  We'll make a toast to 4 months down, 3(??) to go!

0 comments:

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers