Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happy Here

Connor was only a few days old when we found out John would be deploying. It was in that same moment that we learned we would be moving back to Hampton Roads. While news of impending deployment is never fun, I was thrilled that I would be going back to a place that I knew would be full of opportunities for the kids and me. We were stationed at Patuxent River Naval Air Station for three years and were all ready to move on. Pax River is charming and there is great seafood and farmers markets. But for kids there is very little (unless walking the aisles of Target is your idea of an outing... which it is... but it always costs at least $100 to go to Target...)

So today I decided to go ahead and indulge myself in some of the cheesy goodness that Virginia Beach City provides residents and tourists every summer. Beach Street USA is a series of events - musical, whimsical, ridiculous - that the city pays for to attact visitors. Today was the Pirate Party. Who doesn't love pretending to be a pirate every once in awhile? So I packed the kiddos into the car and drove the 40 minutes to the oceanfront...

AHOY LADIES!

He looks pretty thrilled, right? The therapy bills will be steep, friends.

We walked 26 blocks of the boardwalk soaking up the gorgeous May weather and people watched all of the peg-leg men and their wenches. We got to 17th Street where the parrrrrrrrrrrr-tay was located and listened to the Irish band play (yea, I don't get it either) and perused the pirate offerings. Then to prove we had been there we took a picture in front of the giant inflatable pirate and his parrot.


It was a really fun little outing. I think Kate and Connor enjoyed the fresh air and I enjoyed soaking up the "I feel like I'm on vacation without the skeevy hotel" vibe. Who knows where our next adventure will take us. I'm thinking the Mid-Atlanic Hermit Crab Challenge might be next. I can't stop wondering if there are bleachers...

0 comments:

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers