Monday, December 31, 2012

Why Hello, 2013!

So I'm sitting in a recliner drinking a glass of wine.  No party, no friends.  Just listening to John read The Wizard of Oz to Kate and staring at our Christmas tree.  Snow is falling and I can't believe that in a few short hours it will be 2013.

There have been a lot of things to write about the past few weeks but I just haven't had the time or desire to sit down and write them.  I do plan on updating you all more in 2013.  

Connor got to experience his first snow.  The rest of us experienced our first Great Plains wind-and-snow-in-the-face experience.  Wow! Cold!  My baby girl went sledding for the first time.  Head first down the hill she went, nothing but giggles and pride.  It was awesome to see her bright blue eyes underneath her wool hat.  Her red cheeks and her huge smile.

Connor was a little less than thrilled.  Scared and unsure.  But like so many things with kids, I think he will catch on quickly.  It is snowing as I type this so we might try round 2 in the snowsuits tomorrow. 

Connor, totally unsure about the white stuff...

My Christmas present from Johnny was a flying lesson.  I think that John thought I would chicken out at the last second.  Yea right! I had a blast flying a Mooney with a flight instructor named Dean who earned enough money to fund his aviation hobby by racing cars.  Got to love a 70 year old daredevil!  He was legitimately thrilled that I, a 31 year old preppy-mom-type, was so excited to take control of the airplane.  The lesson was pro bono.  Now John is urging me to get my pilot's license while we are in Kansas.  Will I?  We'll see.

The Mooney and Me

We have been diligently exploring Kansas City.  We went to the Plaza (Crown Center) to see the Christmas decorations and check out Fritz's Restaurant.  We also had our first taste of barbecue in this region at a local place called All Slabbed Up.  Um, it was ridiculous.  Typically, for me to get super excited about food it has to have cheese or ice cream involved.  Not so with this barbecue.  It was totally picture-worthy and I left there with the realization that I could easily gain 20 pounds in Kansas and leave feeling like it was worth every calorie.

Crown Center, Kansas City, MO

I know this is where I am supposed to tell everyone my grand plans and resolutions for 2013.  I do have some goals, but nothing I want to put out there right yet.  I think that my biggest hope is that I can learn to relax more and enjoy the moment.  Not worry so much about the small stuff, and just savor the good stuff.  Good stuff with my kids, my friends, my family.  My anxiety often robs me of enjoyment and I am trying hard to learn to ignore that racket and focus on the tremendous good in my life.  I have so much, more than I could have ever dreamed, and I need to stop wallowing in the "what ifs".

At this time last year I had no clue that I would be celebrating the next New Year in Kansas.  And this year, again, we will be somewhere new (or very close to moving somewhere new) at this time next year.  So for now, I am going to live in the moment.  Meet people, explore new places, and have fun with what life is serving to me.

Happy New Year, everyone!  I hope you all have a fabulous 2013!

2 comments:

Karenq said...

How awesome that you have snow! And I am so happy that you LOVED the bbq. Great bbq is totally worth every calorie. I love it all - North Carolina vinegar based, Kansas City, Texas, and the list goes on. Please blog about your bbq adventures so I can live vicariously through you. It is the one thing I miss about Oklahoma! :)

Angie said...

I am glad you loved the barbecue! Nobody does it better than KC. :)

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers