Saturday, December 8, 2012

West Virginia

Good morning from Charleston, West Virginia!

We left Norfolk yesterday at about 11 AM and rolled into Charleston at about 6 PM.  Not too bad for a car full of crazy toddlers and a boxer dog!

I spent a good portion of the drive being in awe of the beauty of the Appalachian Mountains and curious about the portion of the population that lives in the middle.of.nowhere.   How do people live without infrastructure?  Where do they go to school? Where do they grocery shop? How do you deal with a railroad crossing in your driveway? Does Amazon deliver? No cable or Internet? You mean, people don't need a wine store and coffee shop within 5 miles to survive?! 

I kid.  Kinda.

What is the state flower of West Virginia?

.
.
.


 A satellite dish!  (har har har - Johnny is to blame for this bad joke)
 
Some other random observations about West Virginia (mostly from my time in the hotel lobby people watching).
 
*  Big hair (Peggy Bundy style) is very en vogue.  There was a Christmas party and I would say 40% were sporting HUGE bee-hive style hair.  It was fascinating.
*  They haven't gotten the leggings-aren't-pants memo out here yet.  Must be the lack of cable and Internet.
*  Parrots are awesome.  They have a pet parrot named Mosa that whistles at you when you walk by.  Not only is it great toddler entertainment, but as I was eating dinner it told me to look because I knew more leggings and big hair was coming.
* Kids have impeccable timing.  Connor is a little over two years old and has never climbed out of his crib or pack 'n play.  Until last night.  Of course he would choose the time when we are sleeping in close quarters, over-tired from no naps, and in a strange place that isn't baby-proofed to start proudly displaying his new abilities.  He was proud.  Kate thought it was hilarious.  It wasn't hilarious.
* The further west we go, the nicer people get.  So nice in fact that I am feeling rather bitchy for writing about their big hair and leggings.  I hope Midwesterners have sarcasm detectors because if they don't I might be friend-less.
 
Today we are off to Louisville, Kentucky.  Johnny thinks it is a great idea to stop for a candy factory tour on the way (what makes a great road trip like a duo of sugared up kiddos?) and then go to the Louisville Slugger Factory once we are there.  It is a short leg - only about 3 hours - so it will be the easiest day of our trek.
 
Will Kentuckians (?) be as nice as West Virginians?  Will their hair measure up? Will I start seeing more jeans instead of tights?  Will I kill my husband for taking our kids to a trough of refined sugar? 
 
And of course, I cannot sign off today without a big GO NAVY!  BEAT ARMY!
 
 
Fun Fact: The last time Army beat Navy was the weekend Johnny and I got engaged... in 2001.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 



0 comments:

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers