Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Nope, We Aren't in Jail

Hello! I feel like I haven't written in awhile.  It has been a crazy week but we are close to being totally moved in.  We have a few boxes scattered about, and a few tabletops that need to be de-cluttered, but I am proud of how settled we are.  Today we got Internet!  And cable!  I was feeling rather disconnected from the world, especially in light of the events in Connecticut, so it was a relief to finally get things hooked up today.  (and yes, I am probably addicted to technology, but I did survive 6 days without both).

We have a Christmas tree up! It was a huge goal of Johnny's to be settled and organized enough to introduce the chaos of some Christmas decorations.  I supported this idea, but I will be honest that the thought of decorating cluttered spaces that weren't completely put away/unpacked yet started to give me hives.  But he was right, the kids need some normalcy and cheer, so our tree (all 10 feet of it!) is up and smells amazing.

The moving sticker ornament I made for our new tree! 
Now I won't have to peel them off of furniture all year long :)

I am slowly learning more and more about Fort Leavenworth.  When we first got orders here, someone joked that it is the crossroads of intellectuals and criminals.  Um, so true!  Even more true than I ever imagined.

We are living on Fort Leavenworth.  Also inhabiting this post are three (three!) prisons.  So now I feel like I need to qualify the fact that we happen to be part of the "intellectual" group of people who are assigned to Fort Leavenworth, not the criminal group.  I'm not quite sure yet who outnumbers who.

United States Federal Penitentiary, Leavenworth (but technically on the Fort's property)
 
 
US Disciplinary Barracks, Fort Leavenworth
(the military's only maximum security prison)
Midwest Joint Regional Correctional Facility, also on Fort Leavenworth
 
 
Funny enough, the rest of Fort Leavenworth is BEAUTIFUL.  Like, picture perfect, sweet, idyllic, and lovely.  I actually told Johnny last night when we were on a walk looking at lights on post after dinner that this place gives the Naval Academy a run for it's money.  As an Academy grad I think he looked at me like I was losing my ever-loving-Navy mind, but he did agree that it was "similar to West Point" (ha! fair enough!). 
 
I have actually not gotten a glimpse of the USDB or JRCF - I'm still trying to figure out where they're hidden.  Leavenworth Federal Prison is hard to miss as it towers above most things and is a very impressive (stoic and gloomy) structure.  Today I went on my first run and tried to explore as much as I could within a 4 mile span.  If anyone tells you that all of Kansas is flat they are WRONG.  It is very hilly here and my legs were feeling it.
 
Tonight we are headed out for our first taste of Kansas barbecue.  I am curious and a little worried about how delicious this might be.  I can't afford to gain any weight here in the Midwest, so I'm hoping that everyone has been lying about how amazing the food is.   I'm totally going to be one of those people who starts taking pictures of my food.  You wait...
 


3 comments:

Angie said...

Western Kansas is pretty flat, but not Eastern and Central Kansas. That is Flint Hills country, and it is beautiful in the fall.

I hope you enjoyed the barbecue!

60 toes said...

Glad you are enjoying it and you know I LOVE the new ornament. :)

dave and kate said...

So the funny thing is living in Naples Florida (elevation is 3 ft mind you...) and I tell people I lived in Kansas for a long time and the FIRST thing out of their mouths is, "Oh. It's so flat there...how did you survive". HELLO -- it's 10X flatter in Florida! Duh. Anyhoo -- Enjoy. Jack Stack is my #1 choice in BBQ! Get the beans!

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers