Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Saying Goodbye to the Little Things

Last fall was when I hit the rock bottom in my "deployment world".  We were getting toward the end, but we still had a long way to go.  Fall is my favorite season.  I love the weather, the crisp leaves, scarves, boots, and hay rides.  Pumpkin spice and hot chocolate reappear.  I love the farms that come to life.  It is a time to be outside, to be with family. 

But even as I trudged my way through "when-the-hell-is-this-deployment-going-to-end-itis" last year, there were little things that brightened my day.  Lightened my heart, made me smile, and illustrated that even though I missed my husband so much and wanted him here so badly that I needed to enjoy the beauty.  Not look forward so much that I was missing the fun stuff directly around me.

One of the things that lifted me out of my funk last year were the Larchmont pumpkins.  I didn't know that this was a neighborhood and church tradition.  I didn't know to expect anything on that morning on our walk to school. 

The Larchmont Pumpkins (taken today)
Connor with the pumpkins last year
 
But stumbling upon them that morning was exactly what I needed at that moment.  It made me very happy.  I probably sound crazy-cakes talking about how a bunch of pumpkins made me miss my husband less.  Maybe I am.  But the little things about a town or neighborhood have always been what makes me love them.  Norfolk has always impressed me with it's ability to surprise me.


 
This morning they were back.  Kate squealed excitedly and exclaimed that "it rained pumpkins at school!"  After we walked Kate to her classroom it took me 20 minutes to peel Connor away from the amazing array of gourdes.  I have promised that we will go back later tonight with our wagon and let them take home a few.
 
I want to remember the little things about Norfolk that make it special to me.  I want to remember the hair barrettes in the door of our house, the incredible amount of pumpkins that a small neighborhood church can fit on it's lawn, and the amazing crape myrtle trees that line all of the sidewalks and bloom all summer.  I want to remember that the best Norfolk restaurants aren't necessarily on 21st Street or Colley Ave, but tucked away on 22nd street where non-locals barely go.  I want to remember the old classic architecture, even if that means old cracked sidewalks that trip you up when running. 
 
There are just so many little things to love.
 
 


1 comments:

Laura Hunter said...

What a comforting sight! Ahhh, I understand and miss Norfolk/Virginia Beach very much. More specifically, the Hawkeye Greyhound community. And of course, being down here (feeling 2, 3 seasons at best) has me missing Pungo Strawberry picking, the Farmer's Market, browsing through Ghent, walks on the beach in Sandbridge bundled up with blankets, sweaters, and a mug of hot tea.. But we find things we love about each place and memories travel well! I know that your family will make the most of this new season in your lives, the same way our family has! I ditched my Facebook account (full on delete), yet earmarked your blog and others who also have one.. so I can keep up with folks still.

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers