Monday, July 30, 2012

Stream of Consciousness

aka "Blah Blah Blah"

Sorry I have been MIA, folks.  It has been a really crazy few weeks and I just haven't gotten a chance to sit down and write about it.  The biggest problem is that we had a leak in our den that happened to occur exactly over my netbook.  Seriously, my computer was like a sad cartoon character with a dark rain cloud riiiiiight on top of it.  The keyboard shorted out and my link to the outside world shorted out with it.  We have a computer in our office upstairs, but unless I wanted my kids dancing on the dining room table (um, for those of you who know Connor, you know I mean that literally), I don't get up there much during the day.

I miss you, netbook! :(

-  Summer is in full swing with lots of swimming lessons and beach trips and mosquito bites.  We have been using our passes to the zoo and splash pad and pool like crazy.  It is this time of year where I am so thankful that we live in a big area with lots of outdoor activities for the kids.

- We have gotten verbal orders (which we all know means the Navy is 85%* sure it is going to send us to a certain location).  These orders happen to be to a state I have never been to, in an area of the country I have never wanted to visit, and to an ARMY post (um, I have a wardrobe of "Beat Army" shirts that will get my ass kicked).  Once you take us Navy families away from the ocean we panic.  And though I am trying to stay positive, and even do get surges of excitement, I am pretty darn apprehensive about the move.  More about this in a future blog post or twenty.

* made up statistic. 

- Thank you for your feedback regarding the "12 'Great' Jobs for Military Spouses" post I made a few weeks ago. I actually have a follow up in the works. A few military spouses that I really respect helped me construct a top 10 list of really truly great careers for military spouses. Sadly, I had it totally written and then a bad combination of my one year old's curious fingers and Bloggers "auto save" caused the perfect storm of destruction. My excuse is "Auto Save ate my homework". It'll be re-written and published as soon as possible.

- Can I get a big holy crap about it being August on Wednesday? As a former school employee I know that teachers around the country are cringing as they turn the page on their calendar. I know talking about "time flying" is akin to talking about the weather, but I am still stunned by the fast clip of 2012.

- 2012 has been a really sad year.  Less than 2 weeks ago a beloved colleague of mine died of a brain aneurysm.  He was 37, father of two (7 and 3 years old), and married to a wonderful woman.  It isn't fair.  He was funny.  He was kind.  He was a beloved teacher.  You should have seen the student presence at his funeral.  It was heartbreaking and beautiful.  He had the best smile.  He was a prankster.   He made me feel comfortable the moment I met him.  He made you feel like you belonged - in his classroom, as a student, as a staff member.  He was a coach. Both to the Varsity basketball team at the school, but more importantly to his 7 year old son's rec league. He was just great. I know that on the first day of school there that there will be a sadness in the air, like a wet blanket hanging over the building.  But I also know that if he had it his way that he would want us to all have big goofy grins on our faces when we thought of him. 

I went to his funeral in Maryland and it was incredibly bittersweet to see all of my awesome colleagues in such a terrible circumstance.  Hug your loved ones because you just never know.  My co worker was the third young man I know (under 40) to die suddenly in the past few months. If I have ever felt like there was a blinking light in front of me blaring "live life to the fullest" it is now.



4 comments:

Karen said...

Love those words..."do what you love and do it often." I am so sorry about the loss of your former colleague...he sounds like he was quite the man.

Lori said...

So sorry, friend.

And wow. Middle of ummm...nowhere. Literally. I've been there, when my brother-in-law was stationed there. Consider it an adventure!

I couldn't help but laugh...Luke's newest thing is hilarious and far too showing of words i use a lot. It doesn't matter where he is, what he's doing...what he's watching, etc...if I am having a conversation with someone...anyone...phone, person, whatever...and I, in my stream of talk, say, "Blah, blah, blah," He will repeat it.

And giggle.

Completely engrossed in Yo Gabba Gabba...I have no idea I've even said it, and yet...there he goes, "blah, blah, blah," when he picks it up in my conversation.

Which makes me wonder what els he picks up, right?

Jen said...

I am so sorry, Jill. It's a great reminder of how precious life is, and to stop whining about the extra 10 lbs, or stressing about keeping up with the Jones.

I am excited about your next adventure! My SIL and her family are about a three hour drive from where you will be. They have a pool and lots of wine :)

Julia P F said...

So sorry for your loss. Thanks for the great reminder to express your feelings to those who mean the most...

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers