Tuesday, July 3, 2012

3 Years

To my dear sweet Kate,

Happy 3rd Birthday! 

Three years ago today we were at the hospital and shocked that you were joining us so soon.  You weren't due until August, and daddy and I both thought we had another month to prepare for your arrival.  It was a little scary for us, but you were born healthy and perfect.  A tiny little prize fighter who needed zero intervention or NICU time.  Our miracle on so many levels.

Kate at 2 weeks old

When you came home you were 4 pounds 13 ounces.  I am happy you were my first baby because had I known how small you really were, I would have been even more afraid than I already was.  Despite the shocking start, you were an amazing baby.  You learned to nurse quickly which is amazing for a preemie and you started growing like a weed. 

Kate and her peeps at 7 months old

Kate at 1 year


Kate at 2 years old

The past 3 years have been a whirlwind. Being a mother has been the most amazing, rewarding, fun, and challenging thing I have ever done.  You are so sweet, smart, and compassionate.  At preschool, they call you their "delicate flower" because your disposition is so dainty.  You care about others deeply, when you see someone get hurt you are always the first to offer a kind word and a kiss.  Often you run to get your stethoscope and reappear as "Dr. Kate" - ready to make sure that health is restored.

Your brother idolizes you.  You are two peas in a pod.  Sometimes one of you tries to kick the other out of the pod, but you aren't much more than a few feet away from each other all day long.  He has learned so much from you (too much sometimes) and I love watching the two of you grow up as a pair.  I know you don't know it yet, but you are so incredibly lucky to have one another.


Cruising Night Rider style in Myrtle Beach (6/2012)

As with so much in life, the days sometimes crawl by but the years definitely fly.  I am so happy that you are growing into such a lovely little girl, but I am sad that you aren't a baby anymore.  You aren't really a toddler either.  You will always be our precious baby, our miracle who showed us who was in control from the first day.  Complicated and sweet.  Strong and happy.  Your daddy and I love you more than you will ever know (well, until you are a mother yourself). 


Happy Birthday, sweet girl! 

Love and xoxo, Mommy

8 comments:

Angie said...

Happy birthday Kate! She is an adorable girl!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to the cutest little munchkin! Love you Kate!

Jen said...

so sweet. happy birthday to your baby.

Karen said...

Happy birthday to beautiful little Kate!

Megan said...

Happy Birthday, Kate! She's so cute and sounds like such a sweet girl, Jill. This made me tear up. :)

Holly said...

Aww Happy Birthday to her! She is beautiful and that first picture brought tears to my eyes!

mommaj said...

What a beautiful post. I am so proud of you, my amazing daughter.

Ally said...

Beautiful post. Happy birthday little one :)

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers