Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Changes

Well, this sucks.

When I started this blog I never expected anyone to really read it. John, even as private as he is, considered this platform a blessing because it is a pathway to my thoughts. Thoughts that I probably wouldn't put in an email, but would blabber to the "world" in one of my random essays about how much deployment with two kids under two was crazy hard. So he would read my blog in port calls and probably compare my "we're doing great!" emails to "geez there isn't enough wine in the world" blog posts and just get an honest average of how we were really doing.

Then people started reading and people started recognizing me in our small little military world. I'm in no way famous, but as anyone in the military can attest to, this is a very small world. So become a blogger and a columnist in a small world and you quickly start becoming recognized. I have had a few creepy moments along the way, but none that would cause me to panic and delete the blog.

That said, with ISIS and threats to military families becoming more and more relevant in the last two years, I have often paused about how safe I was being. Now, I'm not going to dive into a bunker anytime soon and change my name, but I was aware of my own public persona possibly being a danger to the kids and I. Then Paris happened, John deployed the following day, and I felt a little scared. And then we discovered that someone had stolen the pictures from my blog and created "me" on Facebook. CREEPY. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. It wasn't me panicking because of one thing, it was a series of concerns with a gigantic cherry on top.

It isn't what I want. This is deployment where shit is real and where my readers get a glimpse into the crazy, hard, sad, fun, confusing normal that military families go through. I think it's important when 99% of the country has no "skin in the game" for some of us to talk about how it is to be in that 1%. Also, it's therapeutic for me to write and get feedback - positive and negative - throughout. So me locking down my blog was a sad thing to do. The plan is to open it back up when John returns, and hopefully the ways of the world will make it reasonable to do that next summer.

Anyway, if you are reading this, I appreciate it! Feel free to comment here now - nobody is reading except vetted friends, family, and military spouses. I do appreciate comments - even if they tell me to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. Sometimes I need that!

Cheers, everyone! Thanks for sticking with me.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sorry it had to come to this, Jill, but for what it's worth, I totally understand and think you've made the right choice. I also hope you're able to open it back up next summer. You probably had a great following of totally normal people, too! Sorry about the icky creeper and weird feelings though. We are also staring down the barrel of a deployment and in the insanity of work ups right now. If you ever need to chat, I'm up over here in HST when almost everyone else has gone to bed! Hugs.

Matthew and Elyse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers