Monday, June 27, 2011

Party By Mail

I know that it was hard for Johnny to miss Kate's birthday party.  So I decided that I would send a little taste of the party to him.  Today I put a care package together that would allow him to eat cake, see her invite, and even wear the awesome pink duckie beads that I know every naval aviator in the air wing will be jealous of.

Cake in a jar, plates, utensils, party hats, "2" candle, icing, party invite, and favor (and yes, that would be a glass of chilled Chardonnay in the background. yum)

I got to try the famous "cake in a jar" recipe that so many military blogs discuss.  I think that it worked well (only time will tell - if he gets the cake and it is covered in mold we will know it was a fail) and hope that he will get some delicious chocolate cake in a few weeks.

Cake in a Jar:

5 16 oz wide-mouth canning jars
1 package of cake mix (any flavor)
Icing

Boil the jars for approximately 10 minutes to sterilize
Prepare the cake mix as directed on the box
Spray each jar liberally with cooking spray (such as Pam)
Put approximately 1 cup of cake batter in each sterilized jar (I used a measuring cup so that I could pour the cake batter without getting it on the sides of the jar)
Bake jars at 375 for about 25-30 minutes
Boil the lids while the cake is baking
Use a long kabob skewer or something similar to make sure the cake is completely baked (put it in the cake and make sure it comes out clean)
While being very careful, put the hot lids onto the jars.  As the jars cool it will seal the lids.
Done!

Send along icing, plates, knives, and any other goodies you want to.

It was a fun experiment putting these together today.  I hope he knows how much he is missed.  Kate decorated his party hat with stickers so I'm sure he will be thrilled.

0 comments:

Hi, I'm Jill!

Hi, I'm Jill!
Extrovert. Mom of two. Wife of a cute Naval Aviator. Lover of wine. When I'm not chasing my two kids around town you will find me writing, taking too many photos, and researching the ten future areas the Navy could potentially (but probably won't) PCS us. We are fish out of water, landlocked at 7,000 feet. For now.

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers